The Passionists have been present in Herne Bay since March 1889, when they first moved to what was then called Belmore Hall, now known as The Retreat of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. The foundation stone of the Church was laid on 11 June 1889 and the Church was consecrated on 10 August 1897. From these early beginnings, a Passionist community has been present in Herne Bay to this day and continues to offer parish ministry and various forms of outreach work.
Our Lady of the Sacred Heart is a friendly, welcoming parish. There are a good number of young families rubbing shoulders with people who have been in the parish for decades. The parish also has a thriving Indian community who add greatly to our understanding of the universal Church. Each Mass, too, has a dedicated welcoming team who are happy to answer your questions while handing out the hymn books.
The Parish Team consists of parish priest Fr Mark White CP, an assistant priest Fr Patrick McKeown CP, Deacon Barry Walker and parish sister Corrine.
The Passionist Shrine is attached to the Parish Church of St Anne and Blessed Dominic at Sutton, St Helen’s, Lancashire.
Jun 30 2020